Re: Another documentation issue

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Another documentation issue
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 22:24:05 +0200

On Friday 20 May 2005 18.04, Stephen wrote:
> >Have you read some LaTeX manuals? >
>
> Yes, I think reading a LaTex manual might help me understand Lilypond a
> little better in other ways too. I know C++ and studied Lisp a little; Tex
> is the third rail.

I think he rather referred to the philosophy behind LaTeX.

LaTeX is not required by lilypond 2.5 and later, instead postscript/pdf is
generated directly.

> But as a windows user, I just downloaded tetex-src, tetex-texmf, and
> texinfo on which Lilypond is based. I made an abortive attempt to compile
> Lilypond on windows using msys and decided my time would be better spent
> learning how to use Lilypond rather than compiling it. Is the LaTex manual
> in the tetex sources or is that something else? What is the difference
> between Tex and LaTex?
>
> >I think that's what the docs need the most (that would probably be
>
> clarifying the
> "global issues" chapter), but because I'm a neat freak.>
>
> Yes, it takes someone like you to edit the documentation. Editing is all
> about being detail oriented, which is a good thing if you choose the right
> task as you have. Eventually, you will get to all of it. I think every
> detail in the documentation is important, because a newbie who is trying to
> understand Lilypond for the first time will tend to read into things a
> little too much in an attempt to understand. The early chapters are
> especially important because once someone has gotten into the manual a
> certain distance, you can assume he is not a newbie anymore.
>
> Right now, I am stuck on 'Internal music representation'. I don't think it
> is as clear as it could be. If I knew for sure, then I'd understand it and
> I wouldn't need anyone to clarity it for me. So if anyone who is
> knowedgeable agrees that it could be clearer, please do. I could be wrong,
> I am sure if I just plugged away and read the whole chapter, I would
> understand it.

I can agree that the documentation is far from perfect for those who want to
become Gurus. I guess that's one reason why we are looking for an
Implementation Documenter:
http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/implementation-documenter

Erik