Re: lilypond-book problem

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: lilypond-book problem
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 16:45:41 -0400

    MB> It seems that you use the suffix .tex for your LaTeX file with embedded
    MB> LilyPond commands.

I don't, but the example in input/tutorial/lbook-latex-test.tex does.
That was why I couldn't test whether it was my .lytex file or
lilypond-book in general that was having the problem.

    MB> The problem is that the output file from lilypond-book also is
    MB> given the suffix .tex since that's the convention for usual
    MB> LaTeX files that can be processed directly by LaTeX.  One
    MB> solution is to use another suffix for your input files to
    MB> lilypond-book (I use .lytex and I think that's used also in
    MB> the examples in the manual). An alternative is to do what the
    MB> error message tells you, namely to let lilypond-book place the
    MB> generated output files in a separate directory, for example
    MB> lilypond-book --output=out ...  will place the files in the
    MB> directory out/ (there's an example of that too in the
    MB> manual). An additional advantage of using --output is that you
    MB> don't get all these ly-* files in the same directory where you
    MB> edit your input files.

I tried that and it didn't work for some reason.

I have now tried with --out=outdir, and run lilypond-book without
errors.  The example is not having as major a problem as my example,
but it is still ignoring the right margin.

That is:

  cd input/tutorial
  lilypond-book --output=outdir  --psfonts=fonts.ps lbook-latex-test.lytex
  cd outdir
  latex lbook-latex-test.tex
  dvips -h fonts.ps lbook-latex-test.dvi

produces a .ps file which has music running off the right margin.

My example has whole pages of music, and instead of putting one line
vertically over another, it is putting them next to each other and
running off the page.  So I conclude that since 2.5.21 someone has
broken the way latex places the lily*.eps files.

I also find the message about how to run dvips a little confusing,
since dvips isn't the next thing to run.  Maybe both the latex and the
dvips commands could be included in the message?

    >> So if anyone wants to look at my problem, the files are in
    >> <http://serpent.laymusic.org/~lconrad/music/vaneyck/book>.  The screwy
    >> looking output is score.ps.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139