Re: MacOS X standalone lilypond app revisited

From: Matthias Neeracher
Subject: Re: MacOS X standalone lilypond app revisited
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 11:35:26 -0700

On May 31, 2005, at 10:12 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Matthias Neeracher wrote:

are the sources for LilyPond.app available?

I plan to make them available (preferably under the BSD license, because I'd like the code to be available for commercial developers to borrow; apart from the python script, I did not use any GPL code to write this).

OK. I didn't see any scripts,

The script I'm referring to here is "script", the Python wrapper you wrote to set up the environment for the "embedded" Lilypond launch.

There is also finkScript, which is a trivial shell script.

so I guess it's objective-c, isn't it?

Yes it is.

BTW, Are you familiar with Frameworks? Would it be possible to put all dependencies of our LilyPond.app (ie. pango, gs, etc.) in a separate Framework bundle?

Sure, but custom bundles rarely solve any problem worth solving.

The problem is that the 12 mb zip file generates a hefty amount of traffic; it would nice to package LilyPond (which has a new version every week) separately from the rest (which doesn't change all that much). Another option would be building an installer.

Given that the various parts are fairly orthogonal, an installer might work best.

BTW, how you know how I create a dmg from the command line?

That would be "hdiutil".

I'd be happy to approach the photographer to see whether he'd be willing to allow use of the picture in exchange for a name credit if you'd like me to.

that would be great. I think the water should be removed, making the lily float directly over the desktop. The green and blue are too low contrast IMO.

Yes, artwork is not my forte, and I'd be happy to let other people take a shot at redesigning the icons. I did, however, start out with a free floating lily and found that it did not work well, especially in the dock, because a white lily does not provide enough contrast.

Matthias