Re: [Laura Conrad] Lilypond-book problem

From: Herman Grootaers
Subject: Re: [Laura Conrad] Lilypond-book problem
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:59:06 +0200

On Thursday 16 June 2005 10:10, Graham Percival wrote:
> On 15-Jun-05, at 6:54 AM, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> > If you still see the problems, please send an example.
>
> I investigated, and discovered it was more particular than I
> though -- the problem occurs if you set \layout{ indent = BIG }
> (where BIG is bigger than it needs to be) in a non-\book format.
>
> So the problem _can_ still occur, but IMO this isn't worth
> fixing -- at least, there's still much worse problems (such as
> lilypond-book still not paying attention to the vertical spacing
> of a \book{} score)
>
> If you want to play, here's the file.  Uncommenting either of
> the comments will fix the problem.

The trouble is that Latex, in my point of view, has a definition of the
papersize that is not-compatible with the output of lilypond-book. It tries
to use its own standards for margins on each paperformat it knows, not
knowing that lilypond, and thus lilypond-book, has its margins set by the
user.

What Latex tries to do is typesetting the systems it gets from lilypond-book
and the text in the lilypond-book-file, sees that there is space available on
a line and tries to place another system on the same line, failing to do so
because the second system is to large.

Therefore the hack of Mats is a good one. The final solution should be either
skipping Latex as a page-formatter, thus creating directly a ps-file from the
output of lilypond-book, or a valid lilypond-environment for Latex, which is
prefferably the better solution, because it may enable you to print the
output doublesided, without having to fuss with all kind of settings.

In the mean-time I edit the *systems.tex-files so that they insert a
newline-command after each system. I think that lilypond-book should generate
the file pre-, post-, and betweenLilyPond* in such a way that pre* and post*
contain "\relax" and between* "\newline", as a work-around, so we can have at
least one-sided pages of lilypond-book output, which is great for conductors
who need the total score, but for the performers who need only one part a
two-sided score is easier to handle.

Greetings
--
Herman Grootaers