Re: Several problems with 2.5.27 version on Windows ME

From: Brynne and Russ Jorgensen
Subject: Re: Several problems with 2.5.27 version on Windows ME
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:11:58 -0600

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
Brynne and Russ Jorgensen writes:

I figured out a way to have a single executable contain both the
unicode and ascii versions of lilypad and it chooses at run time which
one is appropriate.

I've attached a patch against lilypad-0.0.6-1 that supports both ASCII and UNICODE in a single exe. After you run the patch, you remove dialog.h and rename the .c files to .cpp. I did not update the auto-makefiles because I can't test them - for some reason under cygwin after I do "./configure", when I "make" I get the following error:

no -DUNICODE --nostdinc -I. -I. -I./include -I../../include -I./include/msvcrt -DNO_LIBWINE_PORT -forsrc.res rsrc.rc
no: not found

even though the ./configure output included

checking for windres... windres

It's not a big deal for me - I just made some quick-and-dirty makefiles so I could get it compiled and tested. I might have tracked down the windres problem, except I seem to remember that then I run into some problem where it looks like it's trying to compile something for wine. At that point it got too complicated to pursue.

Anyway, if you decide to accept the patch, you'll need to fix up the makefiles a bit and remove the lily*.mk... (lily_both.mk is the one that compiles the combined exe.)

This modification seems to be so large that it would mean a fork from
Wine's notepad, on which lilypad is based, and I wonder if that is
a smart thing to do right now?

The changes are 100% syntactic, and you can still compile for just UNICODE or ASCII (see lily_one.mk). Don't know if that matters on whether it means forking off or not. I tend to agree you don't want to fork - at that point why not just use lilypad for wine installations, and MS notepad for "real" MS-win...

I also fixed the problem with parsing the command line so now
right-click "Edit source..." on a .ly file works.

Thanks; I already should have fixed this in lilypad-0.0.6; do you have
this as a separate patch?

I read through your version, and it's basically exactly the same as mine as far as logic, so I just left your version in my patch. No need for gratuitous changes.

        -Russ