Re: Helmholtz-Ellis notation

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Helmholtz-Ellis notation
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:45:13 +0200

John Wiedenhoeft wrote:
Dear all,

I know Lilypond is mainly a program for writing classical scores. But for the modernists among us, I really think support for the so-called "Extended Helmholtz-Ellis JI Pitch notation" should be included.

It's nothing special, just some accidentals used for microtonal composition. To my opinion this is the most convincing way of writing microtonal pitches, however it's much more convincing than the system currently used in Lilypond.

Please refer to http://www.plainsound.de/research/legendE.pdf for a chart, or http://www.plainsound.de/MSscores.html#research for further information (fonts are provided there).

It can also be used for writing just intonation. For example, research is going on on intonation of Bach pieces... it really sounds impressive!

I'd appreciate your opinion on this request,

I can implement (some of) these as sponsored features. Contact me privately if you're interested