RE: lilypond 2.7.8 bagpipe music gracenote spacing

From: Sven Axelsson
Subject: RE: lilypond 2.7.8 bagpipe music gracenote spacing
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:20:03 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Sven Axelsson wrote:
>> Graydon wrote:
>>
>>> There's a fair bit of Highland Bagpipe music where a grace note
>>> occurs between two substantial notes which are not connected by a
>>> beam.
>>>
>>> For instance:
>>>
>>>    \grg b8[ \thrwd d8] \dble e4 \gra e8[ f8] |
>>>
>>> (This is the second bar of "The Green Hills of Tyrol".)  The low a
>>> gracenote comes out much closer to the second e then the first e; it
>>> would be much better if it were right between the two notes.
>>>
>>> This happens quite a bit, with various notes - A4 \grg A4 shows up
>>> elsewhere in that same tune.
>>>
>>> What I'm having trouble figuring out is how to haul the grace note
>>> to the left; inserting more space isn't desirable, there's
>>> plenty of space,
>>> I just want to more-or-less center the grace note in it. (It's
>>> better but not ideal inside beams, such as
>>>
>>> b8[ \grG a8]
>>>
>>> The grace note comes out closer to the second note than the first,
>>> but not as close to the second note as in the 'no beam' case.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions for how to center up these grace notes generally?
>>

>> While I don't really like having the grace notes centered between the
>> melody notes, I do agreee that the default spacing for single grace
>> notes is a bit too tight.
>>
>> There are a couple of ways to get round that. You can change the
>> spacing of all single grace notes by redefining them as:
>
> why don't you try fiddling with the grace-space-factor property.

OK, now fiddling ... Trying this:
extraSpace = \once \override Score.SpacingSpanner #'grace-space-factor = #1.5

% Single grace notes
grG = { \grace { \small \extraSpace G32 } }
gra = { \grace { \small \extraSpace a32 } }
grb = { \grace { \small \extraSpace b32 } }
grc = { \grace { \small \extraSpace c32 } }
grd = { \grace { \small \extraSpace d32 } }
gre = { \grace { \small \extraSpace e32 } }
grf = { \grace { \small \extraSpace f32 } }
grg = { \grace { \small \extraSpace g32 } }
grA = { \grace { \small \extraSpace A32 } }

% Doublings
dblG = { \grace { \small g32[ G d] } } ...

Works fine, except for \once being ignored and the space factor being
applied to all grace notes, which is not what I want. I'm probably
doing something wrong.

--
P/S Sven Axelsson, The Murray Pipes & Drums of Gothenburg