Re: Any "objective" praises?

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Any "objective" praises?
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:41:34 +0200

On Thursday 22 September 2005 19.49, Trevor Bača wrote:
> On 9/22/05, Erik Sandberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 00:39 +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> > > Erik Sandberg wrote:
> > Then I'm looking for a third-party comparison between different music
> > notation software and corresponding hand-engraved scores. (I guess none
> > exists, though ...)
>
> Are there yet professionally available editions engraved in LilyPond?
> Anybody working for Schott or Schirmer or UE using LilyPond yet? If
> not it's only a matter of time ...

I'm not sure about that.. Lilypond produces good defaults, but as Jan pointed
out, the best professional engravers may anyways want to tweak every note to
get a perfectly fine-tuned layout. Lilypond isn't yet suitable for that kind
of use.

However, I guess lily would be good for smaller publishing houses; I've seen
many expensive scores that looked like more-or-less untweaked output of a
poor engraving system.

--
Erik