Re: Supporting Quarter Tones ?

From: Marco Gusy
Subject: Re: Supporting Quarter Tones ?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:36:48 +0200

Alle 23:09, lunedì 26 settembre 2005, Han-Wen Nienhuys ha scritto:
> I'm discussing further microtonal extensions, with a double bass player
> from NY, who specifically needs support for Turkish music, where
> alterations are measured in 9ths of a whole tone. I believe they're
> called komas.

(very little OT)

Comma is the word. The principle of commas is the base of occidental
alterations (temperamento inequabile). An F# is a note 5/9 the distance
measuring from the f to the g, while the Gb is a note 4/9 the distance
measuring from the f to the g. This explains why a f double sharp is higer
than a g (is 5/9 + 5/9 = 1/9 higher than g)

Marco