Re: Hello!

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Hello!
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:51:59 +0200

P B wrote:
To all:

Hope this isn't inappropriate. I found Lilypond a few weeks ago and have been trying to familiarize myself with it; I have a MM in Performance, have done quite a bit of composing, arranging, and orchestration, so I thought it would be interesting, now that I'm beginning courses in computer programming, to see the guts of music engraving. I would like to learn more about how to develop things for Lilypond, including a GUI interface, but I'm still pretty green on the programming side. Is there a comprehensive documentation anywhere explaining the makeup of the source code?

No. The entry point is main(). Good luck.
Also, I just saw that one of the original developers is NOT really a fan of C++; if you were to try again today, what language would you use and why? I'm mostly familiar with C++ and Java (yeah, big diff there, I know),

No, C++ and Java are much the same: statically typed imperative prrogramming languages, with support for object orientation. I think I would use a new project to start learning Haskell or OCaml.