Re: Illegal C++

From: Wiz Aus
Subject: Re: Illegal C++
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:28:15 +1000

From: Daniel Johnson <address@hidden>
To: Wiz Aus <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:12:40 -0700

Wiz Aus wrote:

>> From: Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>
>> To: Wiz Aus <address@hidden>, lily-devel <address@hidden>
>> Subject: Re: Illegal C++
>> Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:17:14 +0200
>>
>> You can build it under cygwin, this is possible but something of a
>> hassle. The result is slower than the mingw build. It's also possible
>> to x-compile to mingw under cygwin. That's a lot of work, since you
>> have to cross-compile all dependent libraries under cygwin too.
>>
> I got my mingw compiling environment installed.
>
> lilypond's configure script is reporting:
>
> ERROR: Please install required programs:  /bin/echo >= 2.2 (installed:
> ) msgfmt mf-nowin mf mfw mfont guile-config >= 1.6.5 (installed:
> 1.6.0) libguile (libguile-dev, guile-devel or guile-dev package). -c
> import sys; sys.stdout.write (%s/include/python%s % (sys.prefix,
> sys.version[:3]))/Python.h (python-devel, python-dev or libpython-dev
> package) mftrace fontforge pkg-config makeinfo >= 4.7 (installed: 4.3)
>

> Now, do I really need to download every single one of those packages
> individually? And are they all available in the right versions for mingw?

You should be able to compile everything except python using mingw.
Python requires some extreme hackery to get going.  There are those who
have managed to compile python using mingw but it required a VERY large
amount of patching to get around the fact that Windows is not Posix
compliant.  Most folks agree that Python for Windows must be compiled
with MSVC... and then you have the fun of trying to get *that* to
interact nicely with mingw.

Ok, so is building python absolutely necessary to build lilypond?  Surely
there are binaries available?

I guess what frustrates me most about GNU-style developing is that so much
effort is put into neat configure scripts that are designed to run without
any intervention and have it do all the work for you, but to get there in the first place you have to spend hours trawl the web finding the right version of
this package, that package and the other, then trying to make sense of the
ofetn bizarre errors you get when a package is missing or is the wrong version etc.. Surely someone has tried working on a system that actually makes it simple to
download all the right versions of all the necessary packages in one go?
It's hardly a lilypond-specific problem, of course. Even mingw itself required downloading 6 separate distributions, all with different methods of installation.
I guess it sometimes just is the case that you get what you pay for.
</rant>

Going back to MSVC to do some *real* work now ;-)

Access your Hotmail straight from your i-mode mobile http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fadsfac%2Enet%2Flink%2Easp%3Fcc%3DTEL175%2E16267%2E0&_t=751223833&_m=EXT