Re: Illegal C++

From: Wiz Aus
Subject: Re: Illegal C++
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:44:43 +1000

From: Thomas Bushnell BSG <address@hidden>
To: "Wiz Aus" <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden,  address@hidden
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:55:40 -0700

"Wiz Aus" <address@hidden> writes:

> miss the many admittedly powerful tools that are available under linux.
> But never yet have I felt the slightly bit compelled to choose to develop
> under that platform.  I'm sorry, but I like my GUI's, and my single
> keystroke
> compile and debug cycles, and not to having to worry about which version
> of which package is compatible with another and why this scripting command
> works here and not there.   And I'm quite obviously not the only one.
> I'm more than willing to contribue towards lilypond development, but I doubt
> I would bother if I had to do it in a linux environment.

Hrm, I run Debian and have all that wondrous stuff.

It's certainly possible that linux-based IDE's have come along since I last played around with them (probably 5 years ago now), but I don't get the impression that the configure scripts/makefiles etc. for lilypond were generated by an IDE, or would
be readable by one.  They look pretty well hand-crafted to me.

To be honest, even if I liked linux as an OS better than Windows overall
(which I don't - they both have their merits and their weaknesses), I would still choose to work under Windows because too many of the applications that I have a vested interest in (e.g. due to proprietry document formats) are only available there. And given that I work under Windows, I'm not prepared to switch to another OS
every time I want to do development - especially because I'm perfectly happy
developing under Windows.

Windows is perfectly capable of supporting all the development tools I can ever imagine needing, so there's absolutely no reason that compiling and debugging lilypond under Windows should be at all difficult - providing that the existing
development team don't labour with a "who cares about people who don't
use gnu/linux anyway" mindset. Given I don't see much chance of that changing, my enthusiasm level for being part of lilypond development is struggling somewhat.

REALESTATE: biggest buy/rent/share listings http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au