Re: Note direction under curves in one-part music

From: Arie Fokkens
Subject: Re: Note direction under curves in one-part music
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:02:21 +0000 (UTC)

Basil Crow <lists <at> basilcrow.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> If I put a slur on a D and E, the slur will go beneath the notes and
> look nice. If I put it on an A and B, the B will have the stem down in
> one-part music, and the slur will be awkwardly placed between a stem-up
> and stem-down note. But if the B is flipped so that its stem faces up,
> the slur can go beneath the two notes just like with the D and E.
>
> As far as I know it is a standard typesetting convention to examine
> slurred phrases (well, not just slurred phrases, but for this example),
> and if their notes have mixed stem directions, to change them to have
> the same stem direction (leaving the majority intact and forcing the
> rest to conform).
>
> Han-Wen has mentioned to me privately that this could be done as a
> sponsored feature for 130 euro (incl VAT and/or transfer fees). Is
> anyone else interested in this feature who would be willing to sponsor
> it with me?
>
> Thanks,
> Basil

Basil,

Not really. If a stem can be tweaked up or down maually,
I would consider this to be a fact.
But ther is also another thing, and I do not know if
this is taken into account, middle-line stem follows
principle line of direction.
Upward: stem up, downward, stem down.
Middle-line note is topnote: stem down,
eg bottom note, stem up.