Re: Tie formatting

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Tie formatting
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 01:38:31 +0100

Erlend Aasland wrote:
Hi,

The new tie code will produce very nice ties in many cases, but there is still a lot of cases where ties are misplaced (see attached file tie.ly

Hi Erlend,

really cool that someone is taking the effort to take a look at the Tie code, which I imagine is rather esoteric for the average outsider.

Some comments,

(tie2.patch)

+ if (abs (pos) < 3 * Staff_symbol_referencer::staff_radius (details_.staff_symbol_referencer_))

why the 3 ? I take it you mean

  <= 2 * ...

Maybe we need an inside_staff() method?

Why are you centering ties in spaces outside the staff in the else case? I would expect them to look good by default, especially if

  sign(pos) == tie_direction

Shouldn't you just leave them in the else case?

(tie1.patch)

 {
- if (!Staff_symbol_referencer::on_line (details_.staff_symbol_referencer_, pos) - && abs (pos) < 2 * Staff_symbol_referencer::staff_radius (details_.staff_symbol_referencer_)) + if (!Staff_symbol_referencer::on_line (details_.staff_symbol_referencer_, pos))
            {

Why this change, i.e. why should you center between the staff lines outside the staff as well?

(tie3.patch)

- Real new_y = (round_pos + clearance * conf->dir_) * 0.5 * details_.staff_space_;
-             conf->delta_y_ = (new_y - top_y);
+             conf->center_tie_vertically (details_);

the old code tries to put the top of the tie in the center of a space, should it touch a staff line. Your patch makes it do center_tie_vertically, which will put the y-center of the tie at the position_ of the Tie_configuration. Since this is (in the case of a larger tie) often more than 0.5 staff-space, this is not the right solution (since the Tie_configuration with the next or previous position_ should fit the requirements better)

In short, while I agree that the PNGs you send look better, it seems to me that the patch uses the wrong approach to reach the target. Maybe you can have another look?

Also, it would help me if you could show the effect of each patch individually in a PNG file.