Re: \context foo = "bar" vs. \new foo

From: Don Blaheta
Subject: Re: \context foo = "bar" vs. \new foo
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:47:05 -0600

Quoth Mats Bengtsson:
> It wouldn't make sense to let a user specify a context name
> with \new, since then there is no longer any guarantee that
> the context really is new, right? Also, if you want to name a
> context, then you should use \context.

Would it make sense to permit \new Foo = "bar", but have it be an error
if a "bar" context already existed?  I think that would actually help
someone get a good handle on exactly what contexts they're creating, as
opposed to which ones they are re-entering for whatever reason.  It
would also help you catch when you accidentally reuse a name.

I'm not proposing that \context Foo = "bar" *couldn't* create a new
context, though, as I don't think there's any error-checking benefit to
that and it would break all the old files.

--
-=-Don address@hidden<http://www.blahedo.org/>-=-
The more things change, the more they stay insane.