Re: setting the number of pages for a score

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: setting the number of pages for a score
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 01:02:29 +0100

Joe Neeman wrote:
Or consider the possibility that I typeset something where I don't care about page turns at all. There might be one or 2 decent turns, but not enough for good breaking. In trying to ensure good page turns, lilypond would give me uneven line breaking, blank pages and all sorts of unnecessary ugly stuff.

So first of all, there should be a way to tell the page-breaker to completely ignore page turns. But also, the above situation would give poor default output. I haven't really thought this through, but could the default be to autodetect whether page turns should matter, with an override by setting a \paper block variable?

We can't predict or guess the importance of page-breaks (relative to neat spacing), so that suggests that we should add a parameter that weighs both. We should look for a sensible default. I think it will impossible to set this weighting automatically.