Re: setting the number of pages for a score

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: setting the number of pages for a score
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:28:33 +1100

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

It is necessary that both the left and the right page are treated
as a pair, having the same number of bars.  A good place for a page
break is a larger rest in either the left or right hand of one of
the two players.

Hopefully, the used algorithm can be prepared to handle this --
it's not necessary to implement it right now (it sounds like a
sponsored feature :-) but it would be a pity if the new stuff makes
it impossible to do that.
I think the current plan is to include a page-turn-weight variable
that, if set to zero will cause the breaker to ignore page turns
entirely. You could then force breaks with \pageBreak and
\noPageBreak and do it manually that way. I would like to continue
to allow manual overrides as much as possible.

Hmm, I don't understand your answer.  My main concern is to make
lilypond handle the above described situation automatically --
Ah, sorry. I was just pointing out that it could still be done manually (ie. we aren't losing functionality (right? currently it must be done manually?)). I'm sure the page breaking code can be extended easily to cover this. I think the task of splitting the (simultaneous) music into two printable piano-staves might be more tricky but I don't know that part of the code at all well.

Maybe it would be a good idea to make a Page_break_algorithm class (like the Break_algorithm class) to contain various page-spacing and utility functions and make other algorithms subclasses. Or would this just be messy -- how many separate algorithms would we actually need?