Re: Combining diacriticals

From: Don Blaheta
Subject: Re: Combining diacriticals
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 01:30:18 -0600

Quoth Han-Wen Nienhuys:
> Don Blaheta wrote:
> > I want a character that is æ with an acute accent over it.  Right now, I
> > appear to have two choices:
> >
> >   1) Have æ followed by an acute accent (by typing æ and then "COMBINING
> >     ACUTE ACCENT")
> >   2) Have æ with an acute accent over it, but in a different font (by
> >     typing "LATIN SMALL LETTER AE WITH ACUTE" from the Extended-B
> >     code block)
>
> I think this is a problem in Pango. Can you verify whether this works
> in, say, Gedit, for the century schoolbook font ?

It appears I don't _have_ the century schoolbook font, not in Gedit
anyway (or in TextEdit, for that matter).  But playing around with
different fonts, some it works and some it doesn't.  The combining
accent either doesn't combine, does but misaligns itself, disappears
entirely, or works perfectly; the single character is either in the
correct font or not.  These two things appear to be completley
independent of each other.  If I try the same fonts in TextEdit, the
single char behaves the same (which makes sense), but the combining
diacritic is much better behaved. (Though admittedly there are some fonts
where it doesn't appear; none where it just prints the accent as a
separate character, though.)

If that means it's a pango problem, can someone forward it to the
appropriate bug list?  Or, tell me where to file it?  This is kind of
annoying.

--
-=-Don address@hidden<http://www.blahedo.org/>-=-
It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.    --Steven Wright