Re: collision of rehearsal marks, y-parent

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: collision of rehearsal marks, y-parent
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:15:14 +0200

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Is it possible to add a collision resolver for rehearsal marks?  The
preventing what kind of collisions?

Almost everything:

 note heads and rests (with attached articulation grobs)
 stems
 beams
 octavation lines, trills, tuplets, etc.
 slurs and ties
 bar numbers
 clefs

Dynamics and scripts are probably not necessary because they are below
the staff line normally.

This is a problem: almost everything is not very specific. I will put it on the sponsorable feature list. Is there a general pattern of collision resolution that you can spot (ie. always sideways, or always upwards?)

But what is the `Y-parent'?
it depends. In case of teh rehearsal mark, I guess it will be the
System grob.

You `guess'.  Interesting :-)

Where can I find information about this?  Is it documented somewhere?

No, not really. Parent-child relationships are generally determined by contexts, but it can vary. Eg. a fingering instruction typically has a notehead both as X and Y-parent, so the fingering always moves along with any collision resolution for the head.

For Y-side positioning it doesn't really matter, since the side-positioning will compensate for any movements that the Y-parent might make.

If you really want to find out, you can either

a. look at the engravers source code

b. add a small Scheme-callback to the rehearsalmark that prints the result of ly:grob-parent ; eg. you could attach it to the 'text property.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com