Re: More improvements to PostScript backend

From: David Feuer
Subject: Re: More improvements to PostScript backend
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 13:06:11 -0500

Would it be possible to put mark_URI wherever pdfmark is defined?
That way, it won't be in the output unless it's actually used.

Could someone give me a clue about stencils and grobs?  My vague
general impression is that it would probably be a big win for code
maintenance, output quality, and output flexibility if the backend
code did all the stencil interpretation, rather than having a separate
stencil interpreter blindly paste together bits of PS or SVG.  I don't
know SVG, but the PostScript backend could certainly benefit from more
information.  The biggest wins would probably come from drawing all
the noteheads and accidentals at once (or perhaps even just using a
special procedure to draw noteheads, which can keep track of the
notehead font), linking noteheads to stems, and keeping track of the
stem width.  It'd also be cool if PostScript knew about staves, and
drew all the lines of the staff and all the clefs at once.  You get
the idea.

David Feuer