Re: Style

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Style
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:57:46 -0700 (PDT)

Agree.

But much of the style and markup must be applied to individual notes.

A way to separate the syle from the data is what is needed.

Notes are data, how the notes are displayed is style.  So a means needs to
be devised whereby the style and markup can be applied to a certain note
OUTSIDE the notes list itself.  IOW where the style attribute can target a
specific measure/beat address or something.  So that in the end the notes
and rests list itself can be portable across multiple "style sheets".
Things like repeats etc would also remain in the notes list because that is
data.  But arbitrary markup should all be separate.

I'm new, but trying to code my templates as close to this "keep style
separate from data" philosophy as best I can.

I think since CSS is already a widely know standard, it's schema should be
used as the base class, and extended to include "musical style" attributes.
Also further naming of attributes related to style should follow CSS names,
and where apprpriate existing names aliased with CSS names that do the same
thing to keep things backward compatible.

Sent from the Gnu - Lilypond - Dev forum at Nabble.com.