Re: Page and line penalties

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Page and line penalties
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 12:00:03 +0200

Joe Neeman wrote:
On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 16:31, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
TeX has exactly the same problem.
Does TeX allow the user to arbitrarily assign penalties for inserting a line break at the end of any word?

Yes, I'm certain. See ch. 14 of the TeXbook (you can download that book, btw). In fact our use of the value 10000 was taken from Knuth's example, who takes 10000 to mean "infinity".

OK, so the solution will always have a certain level of instability. Just to put some idea of scale on my previous example graphs, it's possible that LilyPond will be tossing up between using 5 systems and using 10 systems. 5 systems provides much better spacing but 10 systems has less penalties. The total badness is _slightly_ less for 5 systems so Lily goes with that.

I think this is perfectly reasonable, at least if you're trying to fill out pages. 5 systems=1 page, 10 systems=2 pages.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com