Re: \espressivo direction

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: \espressivo direction
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:54:37 -0700

On 12-Apr-06, at 1:06 AM, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

Graham Percival writes:

Since \espressivo is a hack of cresc/decr, it should be below the
staff by default (currently it is not).  How would I change
scm/script.scm to fix this?

         ("espressivo" .
    ((avoid-slur . around)
     (quantize-position . #t)

Somewhere in the 2.7 cycle, follow-into-staff has been replaced by
quantize-position.  So, I guess that removing that will fix it.

I don't think that would fix my problem, but that would avoid another problem. :)

Would I use (direction . -1)  ?

Possibly.

Many entries contain a
(side-relative-direction) and a (direction); how do those interact?

The doc says

     (side-relative-direction ,ly:dir?
                              "Multiply direction of
@code{direction-source} with this to get the direction of this
object.")

I don't want a relative direction at all; IMO \espressivo should be hard-coded to be below the staff.

I ran into another problem -- how do I tweak properties of specific articulation marks?

\relative c'' {
%% doesn't work; what do I want here?
\override Script #'espressivo #'direction = #-1

%%  current definition of \espressivo
%{
  ("espressivo" .
    ((avoid-slur . around)
     (quantize-position . #t)
     (script-stencil . (feta . ("espr" .  "espr")))
     (side-relative-direction . -1)))
%}
  c2 d e1\espressivo
}