Re: Doc updates from NEWS files

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: Doc updates from NEWS files
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:22:50 +1000

Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
>> Howdy folks,
>>
>> I've been going through the NEWS files to see if there's anything that
>> still needs documenting. I've come up with a couple of draft lists and
>> discussed them with Graham Percival, and I now have a list of things we
>> agree need to go in. We've already documented some but we don't have the
>> time or the knowledge to do all of them.
>>

> Okay folks, to make things a bit easier on everyone I've put the list of
> updates needed up on my website. You can find it at
>
> http://web.netcall.com.au/horsburgh/DocUpdate.html
>
> Merry writing, everyone!
>
> Cameron

Hi folks,

I'm trying to write some documentation for this item in the 2.6 NEWS file:

*******************
Grid lines, vertical lines synchronized with notes, can be drawn across
staves, by adding suitable engravers.
*******************

I want to include this in the 'Educational Uses' section, but I'm having
trouble coming up with something that really works. For example, I'd
like to have two parallel staves with different rhythms, and grid lines
following the beat. I imagine this sort of example could be useful in
all sorts of educational (and analytical) situations.

I started with the example in the NEWS file,
(http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/topdocs/lily-1269821286.ly)
but any attempts to a) understand it and b) modify it have ended in a mess.

Is there a volunteer with more knowledge than me willing to come up with
a workable solution?

Thanks,

Cameron