Re: Is GUB consistent across platforms?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Is GUB consistent across platforms?
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 03:59:10 -0700

On 25-Apr-06, at 4:08 AM, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

Graham Percival writes:

I'm looking at the tutorial now; specifically the "first steps" thing.
Does GUB provide the same functionality across platforms?

No, unfortunately not.

That's a pity.

In OSX, there's a simple text editor, a compile (typeset file) and a
compile (update syntax).  You must save the file before compiling
it.

That is OSX-specific. IWBN if this functionality were rewritten in py-gtk,
so that we could indeed share it between all GUB builds.

What specifically is OSX-specific (no pun intended). The text editor and needing to save files?

Do all versions have a "compile (update syntax)" ? (this is the point I'm really interested in)

Tutorial section 2.2 still says that on Windows, you should "start up a text-editor". Is that still the case, or does GUB/windows provide a text editor?