Re: Stencil bounding box

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Stencil bounding box
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:34:55 +0200

David Feuer schreef:
Once a stencil has been wrapped in another stencil, is its bounding
box ever used?  I suspect that while a new stencil is built from one
or more existing stencils, it shouldn't contain those stencils in
their entirety.

the bbox isn't used, but it's no problem, since the "child" bbox isn't stored, just the expression.

Update on thoughts for the PostScript part of a redesigned backend system:

- Stop using postscript coordinate translation altogether.  This will
increase the space needed to represent coordinates, but

- Optionally (user option) we can use PostScript binary encoding, so
coordinates can be IEEE floating point numbers, represented 4-5 bytes
of PostScript, which will expand to around 5 or around six, depending,
to make 7-bit ASCII.

Frankly, I'm a bit mystified why you're spending so much time on building the ultimate postscript backend. The backend is not a performance bottleneck. If you think the current PS code is inefficient, then you should have a look at the rest of LilyPond.

Once this is done, we can use xyshow instead of glyphshow.  Even
better, as we traverse the page stencil to draw the page, instead of
immediately showing the glyphs we put them in a list to show later. We sort the list by font and color, so then we only need to switch to
each font once per page.  Each (font, color) pair will typically get a
single xyshow.  Furthermore, we can extract a list of fonts from the
show list, and even make arrangements for font subsetting!

Yes, but to me this seems hardly related to music typesetting. I think it would be in better style to look for a standardized PDF/PS output library and offload all of the PS/PDF generation to there. Dealing with PS and PDF is a huge sink of developer time, since it tends to turn up all kinds of bugs and compatibility problems in PostScript/GhostScript/acrobat/etc. It would be a good thing if we could outsource that effort to another project.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com