Re: Backend and non-backend (was Re: Stencil bounding box)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Backend and non-backend (was Re: Stencil bounding box)
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 01:03:41 +0200

David Feuer schreef:

One of the major problems is that we don't have a reliable way to test
LilyPond automatically: the output is a PDF file, and changes in
formatting may subtly alter PDF files between versions, which throws off
a diff or cmp with a reference file.

This sounds interesting.  I'm not sure I like the specific approach
you've taken, but yes, I'd be interested in tackling this problem. Would it be possible to refactor the backends first? I'd be really happy if that were complete.

I don't see who would benefit from a refactoring of the backend, so IMO it's a waste of time. By contrast, having a continuous distance measure between different outputs would speed development up tremendously, because we will be able to spot and repair bugs as soon as they crop up.

You're free to submit patches to the backend, though.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com