Re: Backend and non-backend (was Re: Stencil bounding box)

From: David Feuer
Subject: Re: Backend and non-backend (was Re: Stencil bounding box)
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 20:58:34 -0400

On 5/2/06, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:

There are various ways of comparing numbers. The point is that you need
to know which pairs of numbers/rectangles/etc. to compare. For that, you
  need to get the elements in a canonical order, and that *must* be done
with discrete quantities. Some possibilities

I don't understand why it has to be done in a canonical order, rather
than looking for the closest match for each element.

for the actual distance function, there are a lot of possibilities.
You'll probably need to experiment what works best.

If we're looking to measure small changes, area of union minus area of
intersection, divided by the area of the union, would probably be
good.

BTW, brainwave: if we can localize the discrepancies by their bounding
boxes, we could annotate the EPS files with glaring red circles that
mark the differences!

That's beautiful.

David