filtering dynamic and note events separately

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: filtering dynamic and note events separately
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 07:41:57 -0400

Hello, all --

Han-Wen recently talked about "filtering events" in some thread or other, which got my brain ticking... =)

Is there already a function that would take a music variable and extract only the note or dynamic events? I'm brainstorming a way to (potentially) simplify piano-centered dynamics by having

    upperNotesPlusDyn = { blah, blah, blah }
    lowerNotes = { otherstuff otherstuff }

and then saying [pseudo-code]

    \new PianoStaff
    <<
\new Staff = "upper" << #filter (note-event) \upperNotesPlusDyn >>
        \new Dynamics << #filter (dynamic-event) \upperNotesPlusDyn >>
        \new Staff = "lower" << #filter (note-event) \lowerNotes >>

This would save all the skipped notes usually necessary to get the Dynamics right. [Of course, in certain scores, that might be the easier way -- I'm just thinking about alternatives for simpler scores.]

Thanks,
Kieren.