Re: Documentation - index bug - noteheads

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Documentation - index bug - noteheads
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 02:44:55 -0700

On 7-Jun-06, at 1:59 AM, Anthony Youngman wrote:

Section 6.6.1 of the manual provides an example of altering noteheads
(exactly the example I was looking for :-). It's not indexed, either
under NoteHead, or anything similar. And it needs to be as, as far as I
can tell, it is the only place where this particular technique is
discussed (the index only seems to point to generic discussion or
ancient noteheads).

So what should it be indexed as?

On a related point, I did a cursory search in the index for pointers to
the practice noteheads (you know, the ones with the note letter printed
in the note) and they don't seem to be indexed either. Maybe I'm looking
under the wrong term, but some variant of notehead would make sense
imho.

So what should it be indexed as?

Please take another two minutes before sending an email to make concrete proposals. If you tell me "please add an index entry for `noteheads, fuzzy' in section 6.6.1 Articulations", then I can easily glance at the section and judge whether "fuzzy" is a relevant index term. If you just say "you know, I did a cursory search for ouratranes (you know, they look like squiggly horizontal lines) and they don't seem to be indexed. Could you add something to the index about these?" then it takes me five times as long -- I need to figure out what you're talking about, where it appears in the manual, what kind of index terms are good, etc. If you've just looked for something in the docs, then you're more familiar with that item than I am.