Re: List-culture [was] No Bug nor Feature?

From: Marco Gusy
Subject: Re: List-culture [was] No Bug nor Feature?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:08:56 +0200

Alle 01:51, giovedì 27 luglio 2006, Donald Axel ha scritto:

> I hope you get the point: friendly and positive mail-tone is
> essential for a mail-list cooperation. Do not assume that I
> do not want to understand your point. And excuse me if I am wrong,
> after all I (or others) could be helped to understand what you mean.
> Also excuse me if this is not the best way to help reaching a
> friendly atmosphere on this mail-list; I am trying as hard
> as I can but I may fail.

I see, and totally agree. It's not easy to manage many emails with real-bugs
reports or false-bugs. But an answer like "read the manual" is neither a
friendly answer nor an answer at all.
I prepared a score with lilypond and the celloist missed one note because of
this problem, so I thought it could be a good idea to discuss this behaviour
on the list. This is the reason my i went into a grumpy mood when you
answered "try to live with it", because it would end the discussion with no
solution, or no real conclusion.

>    I think your example on how weird accidental rules seem in
> some places is very good. Accidentals may seem odd even if it is the
> correct way these accidentals are placed.
>
>    I do not think that the developers should change
> the accidental-rules.

I don't understand what you mean, you say accidental rules seem weird in some
places, but should remain as they are. Why?

-The only rule to be adjusted is "don't let the over-the-bar rule turn off the
implicit "!" obtained by alternations in the same bar"

-And to make it still better: "forget the alteration after n bars"