Re: Even more disconnected

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: Even more disconnected
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:37:16 +0200

Erik Sandberg <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tuesday 08 August 2006 22:01, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Erik Sandberg wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I will be completely away from all kinds of computers whatsoever for
>> > about one more week. But stay tuned: some radical cleanups of music
>> > functions are in progress.
>>
>> did you realize that your last radical cleanup left a memory leak that
>> brought my autobuild to its knees?
> Ouch, sorry!
>> This type of error is caught by make
>> web, as it runs input/regression/ in one single lilypond invocation.
>
> Strange: my gs problems make lily stop at regression/utf-8.ly, which among
> the
> last regression/ files; so I should have noticed the problem here too.
> Perhaps the problem is that I have too much RAM? (1G)
>
> Perhaps it would be sensible to let `make web' constrain lily's memory usage
> by default, to something reasonable like 256M?
>
>> Can
>> you put a priority to fixing  your GS configuration so you can run "make
>> web" completely, and fix these problems before they are committed?  Thanks.
>
> Is this the scm_gc_protect in translator.cc (which you already fixed), or is
> it something unknown?
>
> (in the former case, I don't understand the error completely: how can the GC
> protection introduce a memory leak?)
>
> I am now back in civilization, so I can work on the gs problems. I'll try
> starting with a fresh 32-bit ubuntu installation.

Might you also look at the \overrideProperty issue that was reported a
few days ago?
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2006-08/msg00209.html
The warning message suggests that this has something to do with music
streams.

\version "2.9.15"
{
  \overrideProperty #"Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn"
  #'line-break-system-details #'((next-padding . 20))
  c1 \break
  c1 \break
  c1 \break
}

robert:~/tmp nicolas$ lilypond toto.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.9.15
Processing `toto.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
programming error: Not a music type
continuing, cross fingers
toto.ly:3:2: warning: Unknown event class apply-output-event

  \overrideProperty #"Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn"[3]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Calculating line breaks... [3][4]
Drawing systems...
Calculating page breaks...