Re: Longa notes

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: Longa notes
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 14:40:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

If I remember correctly, it's not included when you have the default note head style, simply since there is not real established standard for the layout of a longa
note in modern typesetting. However, if you use
\override NoteHead #'style = #'mensural
you can see what \longa note looked like in the old times when it was actually
used.

Not really.  Citing scm/output-lib.scm:

   (case style
[...snip...]
     ((default)
       ;; The default font in mf/feta-bolletjes.mf defines a brevis, but
       ;; neither a longa nor a maxima.  Hence let us, for the moment,
       ;; take these from the neo-mensural font.  TODO: mf/feta-bolletjes
       ;; should define at least a longa for the default font.  The longa
       ;; should look exactly like the brevis of the default font, but
       ;; with a stem exactly like that of the quarter note. -- jr
       (if (< log -1)
           (string-append (number->string log) "neomensural")
           (number->string log)))

That is, lily should take a longa from neo-mensural font. The real problem is the 'u' in 'noteheads.u-2': The parmesan font defines a symmetric 'noteheads.s-2neomensural', but neither up/down specific heads. I wonder why an upwards head is at all requested for the default note head font. Maybe something has changed in the noteheads engraver which causes this problem?

 /Mats

Ralph Little wrote:
Hi,
Running 2.9.17-1 on Windows, I get the following error for c\longa:

warning: note head  'noteheads.u-2' not found.

I don't really know anything about longas, but I was just experimenting with
different aspects of lily and this popped up...

c\breve works fine though.

Cheers,
Ralph