Re: documentation translation

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: documentation translation
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 15:02:39 -0800

John Mandereau wrote:
A number of French users have created a page or a section about Lily on
their personal sites, sometimes with briliant ideas and words explaining
what LilyPond is and does. That's great and bad at the same time. It's
great because this work is independent from the LilyPond team, and
therefore berings more different points of view;  and it's bad because it
certainly doesn't have the audience of lilypond.org.

I recognize your point about having more different points of view... but if more people joined the devel team, we could have those different points of view from the outset.

It might be worth
encouraging these authors to contribute to the French docs, and/or
creating a "Planet LilyPond" page listing links to these sites.

Is the market big enough? -- I mean, are there _so_ many pages that it's impossible to incorporate their useful documentation material into the main manual? (this is my view on the wiki: there aren't enough people contributing to it to really make it worthwhile)

For example, consider Geoff Horton's lilypond lyrics page. I haven't seen it recently (and I don't have an internet connection at the moment), but my impression was that if somebody spent a two hours integrating that material into the current docs, Geoff's page would be unnecessary. (The only reason I haven't done that is that I don't do lyrics)

In the case of the French pages, I suppose that I _could_ integrate them (I haven't spoken or read French for ten years, but I was fluent before that))... but I'm having enough trouble keeping up with the main doc stuff and bug reports.

It would be nice if we had a "Translation Doc Helper" -- somebody who looked for good doc tips in other languages and translated them into English so we could include them in the manual. Any volunteers?