Snapshot branch?

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Snapshot branch?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:06:24 +1100

Hi folks,

I'm guessing the developers will soon be bending their thoughts
towards version 2.11, and I'm looking forward to trying it out!

I'm wondering if it will be possible to modify the GUB somehow so the
development branch and the stable branch can coexist on my system. I'd
like to be able to play around with development versions, hunt bugs
and so on, but I'd like to be able to do it without worrying about
losing a stable version if the development version breaks.

I remember in the dark ages (around version 2.2?) Pedro Kroeger
packaged a Debian version of unstable that could be called with a
different binary name --- lilypond-snapshot, convert-ly-snapshot and
so on. Would this sort if thing be doable currently? Is it just a case
of redefining binary names and directory hierarchies in the build
script?

I can foresee some problems --- for example, lilypond.el would need to
be modified to take advantage of it, as would other
editors/environments. This shouldn't be too hard to work around, though.

I also realise a lot of work has gone on recently behind the scenes
--- getting the GUB right, moving to git, sorting out the translation
infrastructure and so on. However, the payoff could be a much larger
tester base.

Thoughts?

Cameron Horsburgh