overall performance (was: skyline performance)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: overall performance (was: skyline performance)
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 00:42:04 -0800

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
I've just pushed a change which enables (commented out) skylines for
separation items. Could you have another look at skyline performance?
I'm seeing a signifcant performance impact on enabling it.

Would it be desirable to have
\fastProcessing
\qualityProcessing

macros?  I'm thinking of things such as
\override Score.PaperColumn #'keep-inside-line = ##t

Skyline processing would be another candidate for such commands if it could be easily turned on and off. In the early stages of typesetting (getting pitches and rhythms correct), nobody cares about collisions or good page turns or whatever, but in the latter stages these becomes critical.