Re: compiling docs without compiling lilypond

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: compiling docs without compiling lilypond
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 01:23:37 +0100

Graham Percival escreveu:
> It would be nice if it were easier to compile the documentation; a few
> of the Doc Helpers we've had over the past year dropped out because they
> were tired of sending me changes, then waiting for the unstable branch
> to be updated or for me to compile their changes and send them the new
> pdf back.
>
> With EXTERNAL_BINARY, you don't actually need to compile lilypond, but
> ./configure still wants you to have everything installed (flex, bison,
> python-devel, etc).  This isn't such a big deal on a Debian box, but on
> OSX or windows these are much more serious hurdles to lilypond doc work.
>
> Actually, even I still haven't set up the documentation build
> environment; I've been making untested doc updates for the past three or
> four months.  (one more reason I've been making small changes!)
>

> A while ago I asked about modifying ./configure so that it would only
> check for programs required to build the documentation with GUB, but I
> never got around to investigating further.  Could you have another look
> at this?  Or create some other easy way to build the documentation?
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2006-08/msg00039.html

configure's job is to complain about missing stuff for compilation, but
it actually does create the config.make file necessary for running make.
Just do

  cp GNUmakefile.in GNUmakefile

and do the EXTERNAL_BINARY dance.  Can you check if that works?

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com