Re: volta questions

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: volta questions
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:33:31 -0700

J.P. Mellor wrote:
"Paul" == Paul Scott <address@hidden> writes:

    Paul> J.P. Mellor wrote:
    >> I know there's some question about exactly when the vertical
    >> bar on the right side of a (final) volta bracket should be
    >> printed.  Here's a patch which produces the behavior I
    >> suggested -- print it unless the bracket is broken or
    >> shortened.
    >>
    Paul> What do you mean by shortened?

Attached is an example where the volta bracket has been shortened.
The second ending is 4 bars long but the bracket only covers the first
bar.  In this case it makes complete sense to me to not print the
right vertical bar and I'm not suggesting changing this behavior.
That resembles a bug!  I would expect
\alternative { { a1 } { a1 a1 a1 a1 } }
to give a 4 bar 2nd ending (draw the horizontal line for 4 bars).

I hope a developer will check in here.
    Paul> I can't find any examples of mine where Lily prints the
    Paul> right vertical bar.
I just found an example where Lily gives me a right vertical bar. (The score I copied the part from does not have the right vertical bar). In this case the measure has less beats than a full bar and is followed by a double bar. From this and your example I might guess that it is the presence of a double bar or other special bar that causes the right vertical bar.

Would it take care of your needs if I'm right about the double, etc. bar causing the closing vertical bar?
Attached is an example where lilypond automatically prints the right
vertical bar.  I can quickly produce several different examples as
well.  Nearly all of the music I have produced with lilypond in the 6
months that I've been using it has printed the right vertical bar.
This is consistent with how things are typeset in the published music
I have.  That's why I raised the question in the first place.

    Paul> I propose that the right vertical bar not be printed unless
    Paul> the user specifies this less than normal behavior.

I'd be happy if the behavior could easily be switched between these 2
modes, say by setting the property finishVoltaBracket true or false.

Granted my collection of published music is limited, but it does
contain pieces printed over the last 75 years by a variety of
publishers.  Except for shortened volta brackets described above, I
can find no examples where the right vertical bar is not printed.  Is
there a style guide somewhere that discusses these and other stylistic
issues?
Looking a little more I find some examples of each style in my published music.

Let's see if we get developer input here.

Paul