Re: German update in three patches

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: German update in three patches
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:32:06 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Till Rettig wrote:

> I always get patch files from older patches that are definitely not actual
> anymore -- can I somehow remove them myself? You see it by the number of the
> current files: there are obviously six (older) changes in my git that are not
> applied to the master git. But it doesn't make sense to apply them anymore
> because they are outdated.

There are several ways to handle that. In my order of preference, the
two (IMHO) best ways:

- if you _know_ that the patches will apply cleanly against the upstream,
  and you _know_ you want to submit three patches, say

  $ git format-patch HEAD~3

- if you don't know if the patches apply cleanly, you can start a new
  branch, cherry-picking your way through the commits you want to save.
  For example, if you want to save the commits myweb~4, myweb~2 and myweb,
  do this:

  # start a new branch, called "startanew", branching from "web/master"
  $ git checkout -b startanew web/master

  # pick the three commits
  $ git cherry-pick myweb~4
  $ git cherry-pick myweb~2
  $ git cherry-pick myweb

  To throw away _all_ your previous work in myweb, and _only_ retain these
  three commits, do

  $ git checkout myweb

  # replace the _complete_ history of the current branch by that of "startanew"
  $ git reset --hard startanew

  # delete the branch "startanew"
  $ git branch -d startanew

If you want to retain just the last <n> commits, you might want to play
with git-rebase (better read the documentation for that, since I am
uncomfortable with that command).

Hth,
Dscho