Re: bar counters

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: bar counters
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:41:25 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes
As you know, it's already possible to get bar numbers on every single measure (or every 5th or whatever) but they will be printed on top of the bar lines.
The only new feature I can see in Werner's request is the possibility to
typeset bar numbers centered over each measure. The obvious syntax for
such an option would be a normal property setting, right?

I don't mean to be rude, but are you understanding what we're understanding? We're not discussing bar *numbers*, we're discussing bar *counters* - something completely different.

I may be a hundred bars into a piece, with "\mark default" set to display bar numbers (so I can't bugger about with that), but I want to display '4, 5, 6, 7, 8' over a set of (identical) bars at that point (with three more identical bars just before I start numbering ...).

PS. I said I haven't read the latest manual - I think a numbering facility may have been added to "\repeat unfold" which would do exactly what the OP wanted starting counting at 1 - I just want to be able to tell it to start numbering half-way through the unfold, or eg half way through a passage of "multi-bar rest plus cues".

 /Mats

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
     \tag #'tuba \barCounterOn
     c r g\< r |
     c r g r |
     c r g r |
     c\f r g r |
     \tag #'tuba \barCounterOff

Please also add a feature to make the number visible/invisible. A
lot of the music I see starts counting on the first bar, but only
starts displaying the counter about, say, bar 4.

A simple extension to my suggested syntax would be this:

     \tag #'tuba \barCounterOn #4
     c r g\< r |
     c r g r |
     c r g r |
     c\f r g r |
     \tag #'tuba \barCounterOff

Alternatively, you could add an option whereby you tell
\barCounterOn what number to start counting at.

Yep.  This seems to be an easier solution since it moves the logic
from lilypond to the user.

Cheers,
Wol
--