Re: adding a file to git: +.ly

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: adding a file to git: +.ly
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:33:13 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007, Graham Percival wrote:

> Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> > On Sat, 20 Jan 2007, Graham Percival wrote:
> >
> > > In the input/* collated-files, we use a file called +.ly to display info
> > > at the top of the collection.  How do I escape the file to add it to git?
> > > I've tried "", \, and everything else I can think of.  "git add" always
> > > thinks the + is a git option, not a filename char.
> >
> > Have you tried "git add -- +.ly"?
>
> No, but I just tried it now.  Still no luck.  :(
>
> git version 1.4.4.2

I tried it with the current leading edge git, and it says this:

        The following paths are ignored by one of your .gitignore files:
        input/+.ly
        Use -f if you really want to add them.

Since you do not have that version, "-f" does not work for you. If you
really want to include the file in spite of .gitignore saying
something different, try

        $ git-update-index --add +.ly

This is supposed to be really hard-core git, and should become unnecessary
with Git 1.5.0.

Hth,
Dscho