LSR categories

From: Graham Percival
Subject: LSR categories
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 23:44:27 -0800

I'd like to get a set of categories for LSR snippets decided fairly soon; we can't do much processing until we have this done.

Here's the definite list:
scheme-tricks
%% stuff like `adding the current date'. Short (one or two-line) scheme code that can be copied and pasted easily into a score.

scheme-programming
%% stuff like how to add notes in scheme. Longer scheme functions; cannot easily be copied and pasted.

Here's the potential list:
ancient
%% tricks that relate to early music notation. Problem: if there's a scheme snippet that relates to ancient notation, it's not obvious where to find it. For technical/security reasons, I want all scheme stuff in scheme-*

tweaks
%% common tweaks like defining dynamic-markup commands (ie \mflegato or \piuforte

simple (or "manual" or "docs" or...)
%% snippets copied directly from the docs, or snippets that duplicate the docs. I'm not certain we should include these on the website, but there's quite a few snippets in LSR that do this. At the very least, we should stuff them into a category so we can easily exclude them from the website. :)

tricks    (new name suggestions?)
%% snippets that demonstrate an override; I'm looking at one that does "\set stemRightBeamCount and stemLeftBeamCount". This basic idea of this category is to demonstrate the power of the info in the Program Reference, and give people motivation to read Chapter 9.

This isn't an exhaustive list, but hopefully it will get you thinking about the problem. I think I'd like to have between 10-40 examples per category, but this is also open to discussion. I personally find the current "tips and tricks" document too long to browse comfortably, but if I get a whole bunch of emails saying "bring on the 100-example web pages!" then I'll reconsider.

Yes Mats, you can always just search for keywords on LSR or download the .tar.gz file and grep things manually. :)