Re: LSR categories

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: LSR categories
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 02:46:53 -0800

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Bertalan Fodor wrote:
I feel that these categories are not leading the mind. Users usually wants to make a graphical representation of some music, and not doing scheme, or trick, or whatever. For example, many tweaks are ''simple'' ''scheme-trick''s, that (naturally) involves some ''scheme-programming''... I'd better see categories like: text, lyrics, articulation etc.

Agree! Often such division into different categories don't help at all, they just give you more places to search from.

Other than one example (scheme programming), I have no objection to this -- but please don't say "text, lyrics, articulation etc". I'd like to discuss exact proposals.

For example, are you proposing categories of
text
lyrics
articulations
dynamics
staff
beaming
key and time signatures
piano stuff
percussion
ancient
titles/presentation

or are you suggesting
text
lyrics
notation
titles/presentation

The result will look very different in these two proposals! In the first, we average 5-20 snippets per category; in the second, we have 10-100 snippets per category. Once we include the snippets currently on the website, this would reach 15-300 snippets per category.

There's obviously a middle ground that we need to reach, but I think the best way to find this is to discuss exact proposals.

(preferably including Regression Tests and maybe even all examples from the manual)

Only if we had an infinite supply of data entry volunteers, I'm afraid. My preferred order is
- current LSR snippets
- start a big push on -user to get people adding their own snippets
- current "examples" and "tricks and tips"
- current regression tests

Without any new snippets from users and without the regression tests, that's about 250 snippets to examine. There's just under 500 regression tests; not all are useful to add, but somebody still needs to check them all and decide.