Re: proofreading tutorial

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: proofreading tutorial
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:35:01 -0800

Bertalan Fodor wrote:

Finally, it's probably a good idea to add a footnote with a link to some overview of different text editors, since the one supplied with LilyPond on Windows and probably also on Mac is fairly rudimentary. This should replace the current
footnote 1.
I don't think it should be a footnote. Using an editor should be a preferred way, and information on editors should be emphasised.

I don't think it should be in the manual at all; I'd prefer this info to be on the webpages.

Info about editing environments and GUI front-ends is excellent material for webpages: you can have screenshots, links, and the info can change quickly. I know that we _can_ add all those things to the manual, but I'd rather not have flashy colorful screenshots in there.

Besides, such info gets stale really quickly. If somebody prints out the 2.10.0 manual (and some people _do_), then the notation chapters can be useful for years to come. But I'm sure that LilyPondTool will be much better in two years' time than it is now.

A webpage about editing environments is on the current "help wanted" list.