Re: another severe layout bug

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: another severe layout bug
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 20:26:31 +1100

On Saturday 24 February 2007 19:31, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > > Here is a very simple counterexample: lilypond fails with `Can't
> > > fit systems on page -- ignoring between-system-padding' warnings
> > > for no good reason, messing up the output.  This is a very serious
> > > bug.
> >
> > Thanks, fixed in git.  You will still get one "Can't fit systems on
> > page" warning, [...]
>
> Why?

Because the page-breaking is done based on estimates for the height of
systems. If we underestimate the heights slightly, we might overfill the
page. Rather then overflow the bottom of the page, we try ignoring
between-system-padding in order to get the music to fit. This is what the
warning says. If you set annotate-spacing to true and inspect the (second)
page, you should see that the final result gives you something very close to
the correct between-system-padding so we aren't underestimating by much.

> BTW, can you expand the error messages to warn about `underfull' and
> `overfull' pages, similar to TeX?  Of course, we need a threshold to
> measure against, but introducing such a thing might be a good idea
> anyway.

Yes, that should be doable.