lilypond

From: greg A Wissing
Subject: lilypond
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:58:07 +0000 (UTC)

LS,

A few times I have stumbled upon this Lilypond project of yours. What an
 incredible amount of work has been done, and the print results of the
scores look splendid indeed.
But, I am amazed, if not stupefied in amazement, that with such a capital
of knowledge nobody in your ranks has thought of making a decent
working user interface of this magnificent software.
I think it can be done, and should be done next as a logical step in the
development process.
For me, and I'm sure a lot of other music people, using the asci keyboard
along with a prof. level of programming parlance is out of reach, sort of
acabadabra.
Yes, we composers are very interested in a score notator that can write
ANYthing, and do it well. But most of us are want a tool that is both
comprehensive and intuitive. It seems to me that you are almost there, if
 I understand it well, even MIDI files can be edited!. With a little effort you
can beat Finale and others.
What is there against the use of the mouse, and who cares if Lilypond
ends up to be a fine composing app. with top rank score possibilities?
Along with that, I read comment in your files about Finale, but have you
ever looked into Logic, Cubase and Sibelius? The competition is not doing
so bad at all in the score field, yes, there are severe shortcomings, but
things are not half as bad as in your comparisons.
If, in developing such an interface, I can be of assistance I would be glad
to get involved in one way or another.
I am both a composer and a graphic designer. I do have an insight in what
an interface should do.

Sincerely,
Gregory Wissing