Re: Lilypond programmers "Hello world"?

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Lilypond programmers "Hello world"?
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 00:45:00 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Cambiata wrote:

> Is there some kind of basic developers guide, tutorial or message thread
> dealing with the basic concepts of extending Lilypond?

AFAICT there is no easy single point. However, when I want to do
something in LilyPond, I always let myself being guided by the masters.

To accomplish that, I try to find something in LilyPond, which is already
similar to what I want. Then I try to find the corresponding code by
sifting through the commit messages, and after that, I look at the patches
these commits introduced. That gives me a fairly good start, usually.

But I agree, an introduction into the technical concepts would be valuable
for new hackers. Alas, it is always the problem of time, so if you come up
with a good introduction, I would be so grateful.

Ciao,
Dscho