Re: texinfo.tex and translated docs snippets status

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: texinfo.tex and translated docs snippets status
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 00:56:14 +0200

Le lundi 02 juillet 2007 à 21:16 +0100, Anthony W. Youngman a écrit :
> In message <address@hidden>, John Mandereau
> <address@hidden> writes
> >[1] Our current texinfo.tex don't replace quotes with curly quotes.  In
> >current official texinfo.tex, it's possible to do the same if we add
>
> Bit late, I know, but do we WANT to replace quotes with curly quotes?

Curly quotes are default behaviour of official texinfo.tex; AFAIK
LilyPond hackers have patched it and put it in Lily sources to get
straight ASCII quotes instead of curly quotes.  I've recently taken
texinfo.tex verbatim from Texinfo CVS (it will be in 2.11.28) because:

1) we need latest official texinfo.tex to compile PDF manual in
languages other than English,

2) an option has recently been added in official texinfo.tex to get
straight ASCII quotes instead of curly quotes, and this option is
actually used in the manual (btw. there are no other Texinfo docs with
ly @example's or @lilypond with [verbatim], are they?).

Thanks to 2), we no more need to keep a version of texinfo.tex different
with the official one, which saves us merging work that would have been
necessary for 1).

> It's quite easy to cut-n-paste from pdf into a lily file, and then lily
> will choke on the pasted code ... (and some of us don't work on line,
> and some of this html manuals are the work of the devil ... :-)

Yes, and I've been one of the devils since 7 months >:->
If don't use the HTML manuals because you're on Windows and images of
music don't show in the splitted manuals, you'll be happy to see this
issue is fixed in 2.11.28 docs.

Cheers,
John