Re: Proposed chord name font (PDF included)

From: PabloZum
Subject: Re: Proposed chord name font (PDF included)
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 15:33:42 -0300

> I'm not sure why the new font is important.  What are the new symbols that are
provided in the font that aren't in the Lilypond default font?
It just *looks* as if it's a regular font. Actually, for instance, a sharp sign over a flat sign is scored just by pressing the semicolon key, and '11' stacked over '13' by pressing the letter 'z' key, so that you can score a C7#11b13 chord just by pressing four keys: "c7;z".

This would work fine for me *if* I knew two things:

1. how to change the default font used for chords so that I could use my font freely

and, more importantly,

2. how do disable the chord parsing functionality and its consequences, so as to make chord naming independent from the limited possibilities now available and allow users to write out virtually *any* chord, even crazy things like A#7b12#8/Dm14, and *still* be able to transpose that to, say, E7b12#8/Abm14.

I understand I could do all that by introducing a new chord name code, and I very much would like to contribute with something. Problem is, I don't know the first thing about code-writing, and have no idea where to start, how to go on and when to stop. :•)