Re: compiling

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: compiling
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 20:18:24 +1000

On Sunday 02 September 2007 13:29, you wrote:
> > Is there a particular reason that you are trying to compile?
> > Compiling lilypond is fairly involved and we try to discourage it.
> > There are binary packages on the lilypond website that should work
> > on Feisty.
>
> Can you please explain to me what is `involved'?

I'm not sure how many of these are still a problem, but the main problem I've
had in the past is that lilypond depends on versions of other programs that
aren't always in a distribution's repositories.

On my current machine, I installed guile, ghostscript and mftrace manually
before I could build lilypond (and guile also needed to be patched). Ok,
so "involved" might be an exaggeration, but lilypond is a little fussy about
its build environment.

Joe